Date:
Sat, 1 Dec 2012 17:05:52 +0000
Jeanette shares some good stuff with us - I agree with your approach,
Jeanette, and the way co-sleeping brings in other parental and
relationship issues that are difficult to quantify but which may well
be beneficial.

>The reality is, if we don't ASK mothers in an open-ended way and
>with different phraseology:
>- Where does your baby sleep most of the night?
>- What do you do when your baby cries during the night?
>- How many days a week is your baby in your bed for some part of the
>night? Etc....
>...you will never know that babies are in bed with moms.

I am  even more open. 'Can you tell me a bit about your baby's
sleeping?' ' What happens at night time?'  are more likely to get
information and less likely to sound potentially judgmental - mothers
already hide the fact they co-sleep some of the night, and that does
not help with safe sleep education.

>This means the data about bedsharing and risks to infants is very
>skewed (the denominator is much larger than assumed), but it also
>does not allow us to provide education about how to reduce the risk.
>Of course babies in cribs/cots NEVER die from having an adult roll
>over on them - but they DO die ...despite the desire to hide it by
>changing the name from Crib Death to Sudden Infant Death and now
>Sudden Unexpected Infant Death.

In the UK we call it SUDI - sudden unexpected death of an infant.

>As moms sense from me the willingness to listen to what their sleep
>arrangements are without criticism, they also are willing to hear
>from me what they need to watch out for and avoid (got one dad to
>stop smoking - an added bonus!).  THAT is public health education -
>not scare tactics!

Absolutely.

>So I advocate for 1) Open ended questions, 2) Validating Feelings
>and 3) Provide Targeted Education ...and we need to use this method
>also with those who have such strong feelings about the SIDS/SUID
>"single messaging" - LISTEN, then validate, then provide education
>and examples...  Maybe we will be able to find a common ground...or
>find some leadership who will listen to US!

I hope so! Of course the 'simple single message' does work - with
some people. But it becomes subject to the law of unintended
consequences :(

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK