Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 18:34:26 -0600
Dear Anne,
As I begin this I am not sure if I am coming for an apologetic stand or a
defensive one regarding your response to the responses posted about dairy
allergies and the word trendy.  Trendy to me is like pant leg widths and
the closest thing in breastfeeding I can think of is nipple care: dry heat,
moist wound healing, lansinoh, the list goes on and leads me to say,
"Currently ------ is in vogue"  Which is unlike the basics of breastfeeding
management that haven't changed much from the information I learned at LLL
25 years ago and that came from looking at cultures where breastfeeding was
the norm: unmedicated delivery with early and often nursing, avoid
artificial nipples, keep nursing it will get better, etc.  I think if the
basic practices are followed most women will successfully breastfeed.  So,
the milk sensitivity does not seem to me to be a trendy or basic principle,
more like a tried and trued option.  It is one  that I suggest to moms of
fussy babies along with many others, most of them parenting, breastfeeding
management based.  Around here it  seems I am the only one who suggests it,
but I am the only LC and there is not an LLLL, so from my little corner of
the world it is not considered often enough whereas weaning seems to be.
One more comment: in my post I mentioned my howling baby: Kathy's post on
not babies having a fussy time prompts me to mention that what did work for
him was constant contact with me.  He only howled the first 6 months of his
life was when he wasn't touching me.
So, after typing my little ditty, I guess I am being defensive, apologetic,
but also thankful to you for initiating the dialogue.
Linda Beckler, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Mandan, ND
"Be resolutely and faithfully what you are;
 be humbly what you aspire to be."  Thoreau