From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2006 12:20:53 EDT
I am looking for information on two fronts regarding giving newborns an
"initial bath."
I have been researching this so as to change a policy at the hospital I  work
at who does an initial bath at about 2 hours of age on the newborn.
In the USA this became a practice because of infection control and worries
of health care providers being exposed to such viruses as Hepatitis and  HIV.
With universal care all babies are treated the same.  All  hospital infection
control policies state that health care workers should wear  gloves until the
newborn has been bathed.
The infection control nurse gave me the page from their manual, which
applies across the USA, and it states that the newborn needs to be toweled off  at
birth so they are no longer wet.  All visible blood is to be removed by  water
and cotton ball (but no time is applied to this statement).  Soaps  are not
recommended on newborns skin, just plain water.

I want to change the practice at my hospital because this bath causes
increase separation of mother and baby, hypothermia which than leads to need of
checking blood sugars (and the cascade of problems with this including
supplements), and the increase stress this bathing procedure places on the  newborn.
I am coming up against resistance from my manager.  She wants more  data to
support delaying the bath.
My request from this group is which hospitals in Massachusetts and southern
New Hampshire delay this bath?  Other states can respond to me but she only
cares about the local area.
I am also looking for data that supports that a baby "dried off" after  birth
is now no longer at risk of transmitting viruses to the health care  workers.

I really don't care if a provider has to wear gloves for a few more hours
but really would like to see data on this.
The other mind set that really needs to be changed is parents.  They  think
the bath is so important and don't want their baby to be "dirty."  We  really
have a long way in educating the public on this one but I am  trying.
If folks want to respond to me privately, that would be fine.
Thanks for any and all responses.
Ann Perry, RN IBCLC
Boston, MA