Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 16:02:44 -0800
I have mother's permission to post.

She had nipple piercings about 6 years ago, took them out after about 6
months.  She can still put a bar in about half-way on both sides of the
piercing (middle seems to have closed up).  She is now pregnant.  If she
squeezes the nipple, a whitish discharge sometimes comes out.  Discharge can
be rolled into a ball, not liquid.

I initially jumped the gun and thought she was concerned about breastfeeding
with the piercings.  She is concerned about the whitish discharge.  She
reports no itching, no pain, nothing that would sound like yeast.  Discharge
has been present throughout the pregnancy (maybe even before).

My reaction is that it is fine to breastfeed.  I agreed to ask others who
might have more experience working with women with nipple piercings.  What
do you think?  Is there something else I should ask?

Mary Wagner-Davis, MS, MFT, IBCLC