Date:
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:49:03 EDT
I have been working many hours with the Massachusetts Division of
Professional Licensure on the draft language for licensing the IBCLC in  Massachusetts.
Senate bill #1226 will be heard in the Public Health Committee at  the end of
June. The language was drafted such that the IBLCE requirements will  be used
to license IBCLCs. The idea is that as long as the applicant possesses  the
IBCLC certification, application for a license as a lactation consultant can  be
made. Those who possess other letters after their name such as CLC, CBE, CLE,
 CBC, etc will also be eligible for a different license with the new Board
of Registration that will be created. It will also be responsible  for defining
the scope of practice of anyone delivering lactation care and  services with
a credential other than IBCLC. This approach was recommended as  the best way
to protect the public which is the goal of licensing and somewhat  parallel to
that of the license for an RN and LPN. The state will not  conduct additional
testing, etc. Registered nurses in Massachusetts renew their  license every
two years for $80, advanced practice nurses pay $120. All are  required to have
15 hours of continuing education during each renewal cycle. The  language of
the bill is in the process of being fine tuned and will be somewhat  amended
to make sure that we have covered all the bases. IBCLC renewals will  follow
the IBLCE schedule and continuing education requirements. Money paid for  the
license would go to the new Board of Registration to process applications,
issue licenses, draft scope of practice documents, etc.

There will always be opposition to licensing the IBCLC. It is interesting  to
note that in Massachusetts people who do professional landscaping, fix hair,
paint fingernails, fix your plumbing, etc are all licensed. In order for
insurers to consistently reimburse for lactation care and services we need
licensing. We need licensing to obtain reimbursement codes and to be included in
state perinatal regulations when determining the professional skill mix
necessary to be in place in each hospital with a maternity service. We also need
licensing to become recognized by the Federal government as a health profession,
 obtain loans for pre-service education, and be recognized by Medicaid as a
service provider.

Once we finalize the draft language of the bill I would be happy to share  it
with anyone who is interested.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA