From:
Toni Pestro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 14:45:40 -0400
Jan, great questions.  All of them.  Even if we do not treat breastmilk like
we do formula, perhaps we treat it like we treat other frozen foods.  Of
course, none of those foods have antibodies and immunglobulins in them!!

Right now the question may be, however, how can we provide consistent
information for the families with whom we work?  I have tended to use the
guidelines published by the Human Milk Banking Association.

I appreciate the discussion, but really what I wanted was a way to provide
an answer (evidence based) that would avoid giving  new parents conflicting
information.  They (generally) do not appreciate a lively debate!!

There have been many favorable comments about the content of the AAP's News
Moms' Guide--however in reviewing their freezing guidelines, I find them to
be quite out-dated and overly rigid.  Sigh.

My original question meant to be simple:  has something been published
lately showing that it is safe/unsafe to thaw frozen breastmilk at room
temperature.  I think the answer is no.

Toni Pestro