From:
Linda Pohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 17:16:15 -0700
I rent LOTS of pumps.  I have found this to happen for very few moms but it
does happen.  Mechanically, this should not happen.  The only difference
between the two really is at the back end of the cycle. The Lactina drops
off pressure abruptly and the classic drops it off more smoothly.  I believe
the difference between the two has more to do with the mom than the pump.  I
would just about swear I have seen moms "bond" with the first pump they use.
I have seen many moms that start on one pump do much better with that pump.
I have even seen one mom who did better with a Nurture III than a Lactina.
Seems she was in residency when her first was born and had to leave her
baby.  She pumped with the Lactina and it worked for her then.  Since she
saw the Lactina as the machine that separated her form her baby, she grew to
hate the sound it made.  Later when trying to use the Lactina with her fully
breastfed baby, she could not let down to it.  She did try a Nurture III and
made gallons for it.

One suggestion for her might be to make a tape recording of the Classic and
play it back through headphones while pumping.  Actually, music might work
too if it were played while using both.

Linda Pohl, IBCLC (and BS in engineering)
Phoenix AZ