From:
"Marie Davis, Rn, Clc" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 1995 12:20:08 -0400
I still need help with the post-- apparently others do too so here's the post
again:
Date:   Fri, Aug 25, 1995 12:42 EDT
From:  DAVISRNCLC
Subj:   B-strep Urgent?
To:      [log in to unmask]

I rec'd an urgent call for information from a fellow LC, Terry Lennox:
Mother was a known B-strep carrrier prior to delivery. At 3 days post partum
she developed mastitis in the right breast and was treated with Keflex.
Following that treatment she developed mastitis in the left breast--it was
cultured and found to be B-strep. (The right breast was not cultured) Mom is
now on ampicillin feeding only from the Right breast and pumping and dumping
the milk from the left breast and supplementing with abm.
Mother is receiving conflicting information. 2 OB's have said she shouldn't
nurse at all. The ped says to nurse on the right breast and watch the baby
for signs and symptoms. Ruth Lawrence's book  says strep is contraindicated
in breastfeeding and both mom and baby should be treated agressively.
If mom is a B-strep carrier: wouldn't the strep be present in both breasts?
Could the B- strep have come from her skin?  Wouldn't she have antibiodies in
her milk for the B-strep? Given the history of early onset mastitis isn't it
likely that was from B-strep too?
What should this mom do, wean, nurse from both breasts or continue on as she
is until the milk tests clear-- would it ever test clear?
I've never been faced with this situation and haven't got a clue. Any input
would be greatly appreciated.
Marie Davis