From:
cillakat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2007 11:45:01 -0400
Jennifer wrote, re: WAP/Sally Fallon<< What is difficult for me is
that while I think her opinions are very
dangerous>>

I agree for the most part.  Though I can see the reasoning for the
introduction of egg yolk and liver earlier rather than later as
sources of specific nutrients.  Of course there are other sources of
said nutrients.  I strongly disagree with the accepted mainstream view
that fortified grain cereal of any sort is an appropriate first food.

<< I also agree with her that Western women have generally very
poor diets and that maternal nutrition matters very much in the
quaility of a mother's milk.>>

Absolutely.

<< I also agree with her that insufficient
supply is commonly linked to poor maternal nutrition.>>

2nd.

<< I am surprised that a nutritionist
would not know that nutriutional yeast is an excellent source of folic
acid>>

I agree.  I could further critique her comments but my computer has
been down for a week and i'm at the library right now....limited time.

it's important to note that commercial formula has some of the worst,
cheapest, least absorbable forms of iron.

the simple fix if one is making their own formula for whatever reason,
to use albion labs chelated iron - ferrochel.  it's the safest, most
highly absorbed form of supplemental iron.

<<so this formula is not in any way deficient in it or B vitmains
at all. It also would have sufficient EFA's, vitamins A and D and amino
acids, so long as the milk is from grass-fed cows (so the theory
goes--and I would bet that compared to commercial AIF, this would be
true).  I am also surprised that she would worry about coconut oil,
since it is such a healthy saturated fat and is an ingredient in
commercial AIM.>>

yes, and a common source for MCT's that are often a part of
supplements for babies with a variety of issues that lead to slow gain
or FTT.

<< I'd be a lot more concerned about the soy oil in the
commercial product.>>

100%.  among other things.

<< If I were
in a position where I needed milk, I would use donor human milk,>>

and if i couldn't get that, I would make my own based on Fallon's
recipe if possible.

Katherine