From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:26:04 -0500
I've been in a whirlwind of activity since about Wednesday, but I expect
things to be back to normal by the time I get to work tomorrow on evening
shift and I should be in my usual position, glued to some computer or other.
 But the last 24 hours I've barely been in one place long enough to download
my e-mail, so I haven't seen all the very kind, encouraging responses to the
midwife of the year award. THANK YOU ALL!

The mother, Merete, her daughter Linnea and I were on the early morning talk
show on Norway's largest commercial channel, TV2, for 10 entire minutes,
which felt plenty long enough for this camper. Esther Grunis needs a special
mention here, for her succinct and brilliant advice to me on how to make the
most of a TV appearance.  Decide on a simple message, and work it into every
question you get.  I had 10 minutes so I felt I could have more than one
message.

The first message was about sore nipples - and I managed to talk about
preventing them, and what to do if you get them and how just because
something is common doesn't mean it's also normal,that pain is a sign of
something wrong, and how it's important that the help is there - here I was
backed all the way by the mother who nominated me.  Her nipples were cracked
all the way around so that she could not BF without excruciating pain, nor
could she use a suction pump, so she hand expressed for several weeks while
the cracks healed, and she said she would not have been able to get through
it without support from us at the clinic. I wore a t-shirt with the mother
to mother organization logo on it, and Merete told how she first contacted
Ammehjelpen, who referred her to the clinic, where she met me. I plugged
Ammehjelpens website every chance I got. AND I whipped one out to show
latch.  By now you may want to see this - go to
http://www.tv2.no/gmn/nettprat/article2557551.ece and you should be able to
view it. Even without understanding the words you may enjoy.

The other message was 'it's not about the milk'. Doubt the hosts will forget
anytime soon who said 'BF is about milk, as little as sexuality is about
semen' and I certainly will not forget their faces when those words were
said on the show. One of them swiftly changed the subject to how cute baby
Linnea is, but my colleagues' text messages to my mobile phone have
convinced me that the Point was Made.  The great thing with a live show is
that whatever you say, gets out. No editing out of the parts you thought
were most important - but also no second chances so it pays to prepare
yourself. Find Esther's posts about being on TV and read them, take them to
heart, and you will want to laugh out loud when you leave the studio
afterwards because you've just gotten fabulous publicity for your cause.
Next time I am offered TV time I won't hesitate, this was just an appetizer!

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway