From:
Jaye Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jul 2005 10:52:15 -0700
Hi All,
I had to chime in on this - I have no respect for Dr Phil.  After watching a
few of his shows I refuse to watch anymore - the way people are treated is
appalling.  Also, you never get the full scoop on the situation - you get a
clip and pared down version of what the "problem" is and then cut to him
getting all over the person he is supposed to be interviewing.  Yes, I have
seen people torn down by him...in my NSH opinion - that is WRONG behavior.
Something he adamantly is against.  Go figure.

In regards to this portion of what he is looking for:

"Do you disagree with your spouse about his/her opinion on nursing in
public? Does your difference of opinion cause MAJOR fights between you and
your partner?"

I recently found out that my new partner has very strong feelings about NIP
- and they do NOT match my own!  To my partner ALL nursing should be done in
private, NOT in public at all, and ALL babies should be covered - god forbid
a mother is seen nursing in a restaurant - she should go out to her car and
nurse there (while they roast to death in 100+ degree heat and while moms
meal gets cold.  We have decided to act like adults - my partner has a right
to those opinions - I have the right to my feelings about said opinions -
and those feelings are not nice or respectful to be quite honest.  We had
one major argument - now we agree to keep the peace by not discussing it.
Pick and choose your battles, as they say...

For some people, the way they were brought up (as in my partners case) makes
it nearly impossible for them to see that their opinion is based on
ignorance, lack of education and lack of seeing what is NORMAL.  You can't
change their opinion unless THEY want to expand their minds and look at life
in a bit a different view.  For some people modesty is of the utmost
importance and that can take on very radical views of what modesty means.
What it means for one is not the same as for another...fact of life.

For people like Dr. Phil, and others, who enjoy creating a mountain out of a
molehill, I think the whole idea is about sensationalism (read $$$)- NOT
education.  There is NO education in putting someone on Inter/national TV
and badgering them or confronting them in a manner that shames them in any
way.  In regards to NIP or BF in general - there is certainly NO education
in sensationalizing something that should be normal, routine, and expected -
there is no education in making NIP look like something Bad, DIRTY,
SHAMEFUL.  If only the public at large could realize this and ask for
education rather than sensationalism - wow - what a difference that would
make...

Warmly,
Jaye

Who has been harassed for NIP a few times, has been criticized by family and
friends for NIP and nursing a toddler and tandem nursing and co-sleeping and
not spanking and homeschooling, and leaving an unhappy marriage...the list
goes on...Gee, I can't seem to do anything right can I?  Wonder my kids are
so well adjusted and secure and independent and healthy and so darn smart if
I am such a lousy mother...go figure.