Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 18:50:23 -0800
Hello out there.  I am new to this group and am also a brand new mom.  I
could really use some help.

My baby was born on Nov. 14 and was 7 weeks premature at the time (his
due date was Jan. 4. He was in the NICU for over a month, but is home
now and healthy, except for needing oxygen during bottle feedings and
being hooked up to an apnea monitor. So far, he has received nothing but
breastmilk.  Our current routine is feeding every 2.5-3 hours.  I put
him to breast for 15-45 minutes, then feed him with a bottle, then pump.
 As you might imagine, this process takes 1-1.5 hours, and I'm getting
exhausted. I desperately want to transition him to only feeding at
breast, but I don't know how to do it.  I have already tried limiting
the number of bottle feedings and just feeding at the breast, but I know
he isn't getting enough at breast, because he takes almost as much milk
after breastfeeding as he does during the few times that I haven't
breastfed him first.

I have tried contacting the relatively few lactation consultants who
live in the area, but no one has returned my calls.  If anyone out there
has advice, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Happy Holidays.  --Shannah