From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 20:13:10 -0800
Jan:  I'm sorry, but I MUST disagree...Ketosis IS a dangerous state for the
body...even non-lactating bodies.  That peculiar smell in the urine during
Ketosis is from the extra Nitrogen being split off of the protein molecule
to make it into a usuable sugar for the body.  Both proteins and fats are
utilized in this process when the body is deprived of dietary carbohydrates
because the brain must have glycose to function; once all stored glycogen
(the intermediate storage of glucose) is utilized the body goes on to fat
and protein digestion.  Fortunately, most people don't have underlying
conditions that can be triggered by it, but kidney, liver, pancreatic and
heart failure are all possible as a result.  Ketosis DOES mean that your
body is digesting protein--SOME OF WHICH IS YOUR OWN PROTEIN (that includes
vital organs such as those aforementioned).  Yes, it works for losing
weight, but it is not considered safe (from the nutrition or public health
perspective) and it doesn't address underlying behaviors that ultimately
cause people to rapidly regain weight.

On top of all this, rapid weight loss--especially of this type--also
liberates any stored toxins from the fat cells.  The problem with this is
that most infants can process a smaller amount of toxins than can an adult.

Of course if it means either giving up breastfeeding or this, I'd say the
benefits of bf still outweigh potential dangers, but there are much better
ways to lose weight.
Chris

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]  : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340   : )
: )------------**CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**------------------ : )