From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 14:09:26 -0500
It just now occurred to me that we schedule significant events in our days -
the haircut, the leaving for work, the trip to the airport.  We fit
insignificant events in around these significant ones, **not** the other way
around.

If someone told us we now had to begin operating on scheduled
bathroom breaks a rigid and regular 2 1/2 hours apart, we'd find it a
terrible inconvenience.  Trips to the bathroom are minor events, fitted in
around more important ones.  Do you remember how many times you went to the
bathroom yesterday?  Why not?  Because it wasn't important.  But if
it's rigidly scheduled, *it* become the important part of the day.
Boring, annoying, tedious!

Maybe one response to the scheduling books is that, once you get past the
early weeks, nursing a baby just isn't that time-consuming or important -
that we make an easy, mindless job a whole lot harder and a whole lot less
fun if we schedule it.  Most of us have better things to do with our time...

Diane Wiessinger, Ithaca, NY, on her way to the bathroom now just because
she feels like it, not because it's 2:00