From:
"A. Eagles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 1996 17:34:22 -0600
Just wanted to say that I used to teach 8 Childbirth Classes a week and
brought my baby to each and every one.  I nursed through many a lecture
and the couples sure loved having him there...especially first time
parents!  When he got a little older, they used to trade off holding him
while I demonstrated things...it worked out great.  He quit coming
regularly at a year when he started walking and walked over to the VCR
and when my back was turned, got his hand stuck in it.  One of the dads
in the class and I got it out and he was fine, but after that, he didn't
come every time...always came at least once or twice in a series though
until his sister was born when he was 25 months old and then he started
staying home with dad and she started coming every week...fun times, I
miss them as my children grow up...time to have another??!!
-Ava Carmichael Eagles, MS, ACCE, IBCLC
P.S.  By the way, I even used to change diapers while I talked...I use
cloth diapers with pins and plastic pants and it always amazed the
couples how easily I was able to pin diapers...I'm confident I converted
a few to cloth. (They also got a peek at an uncircumcised penis, which
also sparked great discussion as the main hospital I taught it had a
greater than 95% circ. rate...I personally know of one couple who had
decided to circ change their mind after seeing my son intact and having
a long discussion about it after class...amazing what they learn when
you're doing things they might not construe as formal teaching!)