From:
"A. Montgomery" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 1995 16:08:59 -0700
Hi!  I'm a new subscriber, and had fun scrolling through the
discussions.  I'm a family physician, faculty member at the St. Peter
Hospital FP residency, an accredited LLL leader (currently on Leader
Reserve), and the mother of a 5-year-old boy (who finally got around to
weaning a few months ago!).

Regarding Zoloft (and other SSRIs), as requested by Nicole Touchet:  The
major concern about these meds that they haven't been around long enough
to have a track record. Folks I've talked to think they'll probably be
safe for BF moms, but urge caution at this point. A
breastfeeding-friendly psychiatrist tells me he thinks desipramine is
currently the drug of choice if you're going to medicate for depression
in pregnancy and lactation since it's been around a while and has caused
no known problems and has fewer side effects than some other tricyclics.
Concern as with all CNS meds is long-term cognitive development, so I'd
only use SSRIs if other things don't work--would discuss with mom the
possible subtle risks of drug vs. known benefits of breastfeeding and
need to adequately treat depression.
--
Anne Montgomery, M.D.