From:
Riva Weissfish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2010 04:03:32 -0400
I am working with a mom with her second baby who cannot seem to to let down the milk she has. Initially she experienced fullness and fed with great amount of pain, the baby was not gaining so she started to pump and got only small amount despite her feeling very full. Her supply then down regulated.(This actually was the same scenario after her first birth, which ended with full formula feeding by 1 month)  We are , now, trying to build it up again with regular pumping and motilium.  She felt a definite increase in fullness - after 4 days on the motilium - but cannot get more that 50cc for her almost 3 week old baby and she feels that since she is not removing milk she is already down regulating again.

Another issue she is dealing with though seems to have improved somewhat, is an unexplainable exquiste pain in the area of the areola when pressure is applied.

The milk does not ever spray and seems to just dribble out for the 15 minutes she can stand to double pump. Expressing by hand and /or compression does not seem to improve the situation- ineffective and extremely painful. She denies any surgery or injuries, takes no medication(except the motilium, of course). Doesn't seem to have had any traumatic experiences or abuse in her past and came to breastfeeding with complete confidence that is meant to work "as it did for her Mom, sisters and sil's". Dad is very supportive but w/o pressure. We have tried relaxation techniques and guided imagery - to no avail.

This week we are going to try to add goat's rue, and see what happens but will that effect let down?

She is about to give up, but if I had any reasonable suggestion I know she would be willing to try.

Any ideas?!!

Riva Weissfish BA,CCE, IBCLC