From:
Elise Chapin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2008 03:36:31 -0500
Dear Sarah,

I am an IBCLC in Florence and would be happy to talk to your friends.  It
seems that they have been misinformed about the types of care offered here.
 Perhaps they asked at one of the private clinics.

None of the public hsopitals (where the vast majority of women give birth -
98% or so) around Florence operate that way. There are 2 Baby Friendly
Hospitals around Florence and many mothers go there. The other 2 public
hospitals both offer at least partial rooming in. Yes, there are epidurals
(one hospital in particular is noted for them). The C-section rate is
nowhere near 70%, depending on where you go around here it might get up to
30%. Breastfeeding is very much a part of hospital care. I'm really sorry
she got this information, but would be glad to talk to her about options.

Elise Chapin
Florence. Italy