From:
laviolle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:55:41 -0400
 In view of the recent post on nudity, I thought I would tell you about an
ad campaign that has been running in dayly newspapers in France, national
and regionalones. It is for the 'cafes" (roughly coffee-shops, but which
have played a great part in French social life since the 18th century). The
union of  the managers of cafes "France Boissons"have run a poll to know
why there were fewer people in cafes nowadays and they have come up with an
advertising campaign which  features a black and white picture of a young
woman breastfeeding a baby with the caption " 52% of French people declare
they feel secure in a cafe"
It is not even discreeet nursing as she has unbuttoned her blouse from the
way up.
The first time I heard about this ad was on the  radio where the
commentator stated that he had seen a beautiful ad and described it. I
think the advertisers wondered about who would symbolise calm and security
and they came up with a breastfeeding mother?
If one of you wanted to see this add, apart from going to a university
library to see back issues of French daily papers (I saw it in Le Monde) ,I
could send a copy to someone who has a  possibility of putting it on a home
page. Just email me.but I will be away for a few days so I will take care
of it in the middle of next week.

Gisèle Laviolle LLLL, IBCLC