From:
"Carrie L. Bryant" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 23:15:53 -0600
I have been reading some of the responses to my post.  This woman who has
the problem with her child sleeping with her--she is pregnant with her 3rd
child.  It was her first child that was taken away from her.  I don't think
that it had anything to do with co-sleeping.  I feel also that there was
something serious there.

I know that there is not a law on the books about co-sleeping.  I also know
that sometimes people in authority want to make up there own rules that fit
their belief system.  They are in such a position to do so--even if it is
just to threaten.

I homeschool as well and I know that in Texas it is legal to
homeschool--individual school districts have decided that they don't care
about what the law says, they don't agree with homeschooling and heaven
forbid anyone in their district will get away with it.  They threaten new
homeschoolers and scare them with their authoritative ways.  Parents who
don't know any better will believe the district and put their child back
into school.

I feel that is what happened.  Because of what happened with her first
child--being taken away whether justified or not, she could feel paronoid
about losing another child.

I am pulled both ways because where I work, if there is the slightest
thought that there could be abuse, I have to report it by law.  I have a
problem with CPS.  There are good people who work there, but it's those who
aren't that gives the system a bad name.  To my understanding, by law CPS
has to check into every report that comes across their desk.  Now if my
name came acros their desk and it turned out to be bogus.  You can be sure
that in the process of investigating me and my family--I will be left very
upset and possibly my children traumitized.

This woman could have talked to someone who was apalled by the fact that
this child was still sleeping with her.  She could also have been apalled
by the fact that this woman still breastfed.  The caseworker could have
taken her own values and disregarded what the law says and expressed her
values in such a way that would intimidate her.

Carrie