From:
Sara Bernard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 2002 20:30:23 +0200
"I prefer none.
If moms need something in the early days I have them take one off of their
bed. I not seldom visit moms with feeding problems who are in part  due to
the pillow use. Either they put the baby on the pillow without further
support or the pillow is way to thick and mom can in no way put her baby at
breast in a proper way or it hinders her to sit relaxed. And another aspect
is the idea it gives that breastfeeding is no t easily done, you can't go
out 'cause you have to carry the huge pillow with you to be able fo bf. it
makes bf difficult in more than 1 way."

I'd like to reply to your post Gonneke. I use one of those half moon pillows
filled with very small polystyrene balls (Can;t remember the make now). I
find it very comfortable especially when half of it is behind my back if I'm
sitting on the couch. For me it gave me the support for my arms I needed to
perfect a difficult latch. I certainly feel more relaxed when using it.
But it has a BIG drawback. Like you mentioned, you can't go out 'cause you
have to carry the huge pillow with you. This is absolutely right. I'm
addicted to my pillow and find it almost impossible to feed without it (I
always use the rugby or crosscradle, never the madona - doesn;t work for us
yet).
It's got to the stage where I just can;t understand how on earth I fed the
two boys without it. I did though, and how did I managed to feed a toddler
without that pillow - my minds a blank as I'm addicted. I have to totally
agree with you that it also makes for a bf problem - its a pain in the neck
to lug around and oh, when you forget to put it in the car :-( On the other
hand I'm glad I had it from my daughters birth. It did help me through a
difficult latch period.

I'll certainly add the drawback you've mentioned to these pillows when
giving classes.

Sara Bernard
The Netherlands
(going to practice without it - so I don't have to lug it around so much!)