Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 13:57:41 +0100
>A few have mentioned this mom "should not" be pumping at nine days. With all
>due respect to all who mentioned this, I was presented with this problem and
>asked to help  resolve it. I guess I could have just said, "sorry, I cannot
>help you with this now. You should not be pumping. Come back in 6  weeks."

Of course you can't say that,  Diane.  I know we have to accept the
mother's concern and question at the time and in the way it's presented to
us.

But it is possible, indeed it's important, to discuss with the mother *why*
she wants to pump at this time, and to help her see why  it isn't
compulsory, or necessarily helpful to her, her baby or to her
breastfeeding.  That's not to refuse her help at any time, but to give her
real *information and choice*.

I agree with many of the posters here - there is way too much pumping going
on. The traditional, woman-skill  of hand expression (which costs nothing)
is being neglected, and the whole thing just adds to the pressures mothers
are under. We are not yet at the same stage in the UK, but we are getting
there. Every class I do, the mothers want to know 'the best pump'....they
are not normally expressing as early as you seem to do in the US,
though...yet.

Note: I am not saying expressing (with or w/out a pump) is wrong. It can
make bf flexible and adaptable.  I am not saying it should not be taught,
or done, whenever it is appropriate to do so - and that can be for medical,
social, or economic reasons or simply personal preference. *In general*
however,  we need to take care and resist the trend to universal,
compulsory pumping.

Employers love pumping. It means mothers get back at their desks full-time
(with commuting and everything)  at some ridiculously early stage, and if
they 'allow' them to pump and store at work, they even get brownie
points....

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK