From:
Diane Wiessinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 05:11:50 -0500
I talked today to a client of 6 months who had very little milk her first 6
weeks.  She lost a lot of blood at birth, followed by a uterine infection
that hospitalized her and later by a return of mild cramping, tho no
placental fragment was ever diagnosed, followed by a strep throat.

Her supply gradually improved over the first 2 - 2 1/2 months.  She now has
an abundant supply and a thriving child.  She attributes her success to
lots of nursing (duh), co-sleeping, fenugreek, time for her body to heal
from its various insults, *and drinking a lot of water.*  She even ran an
experiment when she began to suspect a connection.  She had been pushing
water well beyond what she wanted ("I was drowning in it"), and stopped
doing it.  Her milk supply fell.  She started pushing, her supply
rebounded.  She cut back again, her supply fell.

I tend not to fuss about fluids, just telling moms to avoid thirst and to
aim for pale urine.  Indeed, had I known what she was doing I'd probably
have tried to dissuade her.  But here's one mom who felt *pushing* fluids
really made a difference.  Something to tuck away...

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY