From:
Lisa Naquin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 14:03:21 -0500
Several weeks ago, Melissa Vickers posted a problem in regard to the anemic mom still nursing an older child.  Unfortunately, I am that mom.  As a LLL leader, I am also looking into some other places for answers.  My problem still remains.  In summary, my last iron count before a failed IV iron treatment was 7 (I was told 40 was the lowest it should be.)After the 1/2 treatment, my iron climbed to 11.  I do have Crohns Disease  (but am not in a flare up) and I've had stomach surgery so I'm very malabsorptive and oral iron supplemnts don't work for me.  I really don't  want to wean my daughter  and she shows no interest in weaning either.  I would like to either find an alternative to the iron dextran solution that is somewhat questionable for use during lactation or get additional info to feel more comfortable in receiving it and still nurse. Last go round we based our decision to continue to nurse (after 2 horrible days of pumping and avoiding Anna) on the  molecular weight !
 being too large to pass over into the milk.  The pediatrician is dumbfounded  and says we could have passed toxic levels of unmetabolized iron to her.  So many conflicting opinions!
Someone mentioned an Addenbrooke diet- I'd love more info.   Also, I'm still trying to find an article titled " Iron and Lactoferrin in milk of anemic mothers given iron supplements" by Zavaleta published in May of 1995 in Nutrition Research.  I will gladly pay postage and copies.

I thank you each for helping with this problem.  My Dr.s are unsupportive of my wanting  to continue to nurse and even believe me somewhat perverted !  I take my health seriously and want to feel better but there must be a better way!  My email address is [log in to unmask]  I look forward to being of assistance to yall in the future!                        With regards, Lisa