Date:
Thu, 17 May 2012 14:36:38 +0100
>Dear Lactnet Friends:
>
>In one of the great contradictions of my professional life, I am teaching
>about bottle-feeding and formula preparation because of the US BFHI
>requirement. There are currently 2 DVDs available that demonstrate
>preparation of a bottle of formula according to WHO guidelines; one is from
>the US and the other is from the UK. I am teaching it because there is no
>one else doing so. Why don't nutrition professionals take this task; why is
>the lactation professionals?

I expect the one from the UK is the DVD issued last year:

http://www.babymilkaction.org/shop/ife.html

It's still not intended for group instruction though - Baby Friendly
*proscribes* group instruction, not just because this normalises ff,
but because it's not safe. People are not very likely to remember the
instructions, unless they are told individually (and this should
ideally be done in the mother's own home, with her making up formula
under supervision).

>Audience reaction to a DVD illustrating safe preparation of a bottle of
>powdered formula has been so huge that I have stopped showing the DVD; it
>has proved easier and less disturbing to the flow of a class to discuss the
>CDC/WHO guidelines and give them out.

But Baby Friendly in the UK at least would not permit this - you
*cannot* teach ff in a class, either with a handout or a DVD, or with
a discussion of how to prepare.

What was the audience reaction, Nikki?

Heather Welford Neil
bfc, tutor, UK