Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2014 08:46:02 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
A couple of years ago I asked a friend who headed a lab that did cultures and sensitivities to check out olive oil in vitro to see if it had any effect on staph and/or candida.  She used agar plates pre-colonized with these two items and found that olive oil provided a "zone of inhibition" in both of these cultures.  I am going to ask her if she would do the same with coconut oil.  It would be an interesting test. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Melinda Harris-Moulton
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:45 PM
Subject: Lanolin options

Kathleen H and Fellow Lactnetters:
     I haven't gotten the latest issue, but last Fall's issue had an article comparing the various treatments for sore nipples. I was surprised to see Lanolin was not a favorite.  Don't know why we keep passing it out except that the hospital must get a lot for free!
       Peppermint gel was at the top of list for preventing sore nipples, as well as peppermint water, but not available in US. My fellow Lactation consultant and I decided, after reading about peppermint water, have used peppermint tea bags to nipples.
     The article also suggested Medihoney for cracked/sore nipples, and I've had a Rep from the company talk with us: got samples and am eager to find out what my clients think about it. The Rep gave me the name of a Seattle company that will sell small amount directly to individual clients.
I plan on using my samples to place a dab in individual closed containers to give to mom's as a trial -- thinking that if they like it they can order more themselves. A tube of maybe 1.5oz would be about $10 as I recall.
      Anyone else have experience with peppermint water or Medihoney? The article also listed Olive oil and Coconut oil as helping heal sore nipples.
Also Ozonated Olive oil. Anyone have experience with these treatments?
And--- What IS ozonated olive oil??
     Thanks for all input-- we all need to share about what works best when lanolin has been "found out" as a dud.
Melinda Harris-Moulton ARNP, IBCLC,
Breastfeeding Medicine of South Sound,
Olympia, WA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2