From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 06:07:06 -0700
There is a new section on the National Sleep Foundation's web site devoted
to infants and sleep. It consists largely of a brochure and some information
and advice on getting baby to sleep. I'm concerned for a couple of reasons -
the brochure doesn't discuss feeding at all, except to warn that rocking or
feeding to sleep could lead to problems. There's even a section in the
brochure that describes newborn feeding cues during sleep but doesn't
identify them as feeding cues.

The brochure doesn't discuss how often babies should wake at night to feed,
and does discuss the normal number of hours of night-time sleep (noting an
average of 11 hours at six months) and I think it implies that those would
be 11 contiguous hours.

Here is a description of the project from their web site:

> About the Guidelines
> The National Sleep Foundation has published a new set of consumer guidelines
> on best sleep practices for parents of children from birth to three years of
> age. NSF convened a task force of nationally recognized experts on pediatric
> sleep to discuss many aspects of sleep for newborns, infants and toddlers, and
> to make recommendations to parents. The task force was chaired by Jodi A.
> Mindell, PhD, an NSF board member who is on the faculty of the Department of
> Psychology at St. Joseph's University in Philadelphia and is associate
> director of the sleep disorders center at Childrens Hospital of Philadelphia.
>
> The task force reviewed the literature in pediatric sleep to assemble
> information and produce guidelines for the publication of a colorful and
> practical brochure, Sleep, Your Baby and You. The publication is the result of
> an unrestricted educational grant from JOHNSON'SŪ Baby, a division of JOHNSON
> & JOHNSON.

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/baby.html

Thoughts?

-- Jodine Chase