Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 13:26:29 -0600
Dear Lactnetters,
  I've been no mail for several months so I will introduce myself again.
I am a La Leche League Leader in Idaho where it is gently snowing.
   I have a situation that I've never seen before. Baby 2 mos old.
Gaining very well. Mom
complains of intermittent nipple soreness throughout feeding since birth.
Latch  looks good, good jaw movement with sucking. I cannot see anythhing
different  when it begins to hurt mom.
When mom removed him from breast after about ten minutes there was a
definite red ring about 1/4 to 1/2 inch back on areola. Is this normal?
I've not noticed it before. Nipples were slightly pink but no lines or
ridges. The mom is very fair skinned. I did notice after ward that baby
was sucking his lower lip. His chin maybe alittle recessed. DOes any of
this have any bearing on what might be  happening?  Thanks
 Mary Graden