From:
Kristine N Wiedman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 10:14:55 -0500
A woman recently told me that she exclusively bottlefed EBM her baby (she
had chosen this method due to latch problems) for 2 1/2 weeks. At one
week, baby tolerated breastmilk well. At 10-14 days of age, her baby
started having colic symptoms and lots of crying at night. Pediatrician
diagnosed lactose intolerance after mom had eliminated dairy and other
foods and that didn't help.( I don't know specifics.) She told me this
scenario 2 weeks after she had stopped pumping. If she had contacted me
about the colic symptoms, I would have suggested she try hind milk feeds
so baby would get less lactose (maybe was having lactose overload not
intolerance). I have heard of putting lactase drops in mom's milk but I
don't know much about this.

I'd like to know what any of you would have advised (references would be
good). This mom is not interested in starting back pumping, but I would
like to have the info to share with her pediatrician as she refers
mothers to me.

This made me think of my "old" days in the NICU where I worked for 14
years.
We never had colicky babies--many were fed EBM. The word "colic" never
came up in the unit and never needed to--not for premies or full term
babies of all ages under 1 year. Has anyone else thought about that-why
would that be? Does colic only occur at home under parents' care? Now,
I'm really puzzled.

Kris Wiedman RN IBCLC
private practice in Tennessee