From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:17:17 +0200
The factoid that sticks with me, and alas I cannot remember whence it came,
is that the antibodies in breastmilk are evenly distributed throughout the
day's production.  This means that a mother producing copious amounts will
have some in every drop, while a mother producing a single spoonful will
have them all in that little portion.

To me, that is something very different from saying that 15 ml of breastmilk
daily is 'enough'.  The baby who is fully nourished at the breast (or from
breastmilk) will not be getting a lot of stuff her system has to grapple
with.  The antibodies will strengthen the foundation laid by appropriate
nutrition.  The baby getting one tablespoonful (15 ml) will of necessity be
getting most of her food from other sources, and there just isn't a single
one that is equal to breastmilk in availability or appropriateness.

It may indeed be the case that a baby eating lots of different stuff but
still getting some breastmilk, even 15 ml, every day will have fewer
infectious illnesses than if the breastmilk were absent.  That just shows
how very potent the immune protection offered by breastmilk is.  This is a
good argument to offer mothers who are hearing acquaintances say 'Why do you
still bother?  What does that one little session at the breast really
matter?' when the child is down to one quick fix per day.  It matters, and
the mother and baby are both better off for it.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway