Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 15:07:19 -0500
 Her own weight dropped
>precipitously soon after, however, and her GP is very concerned. Mom is
>not over -exercising, or dieting.  She actually says  that she is eating
>a lot!  So, part one of the question is
>"does anyone have any ideas for ways this mom can keep some weight on?"
>Part two of the question...

I had a client who presented in a similar way and she found that adding
flax seed oil capsules to her diet helped her to gain weight.  She also
added 1/4 tsp of olive oil to almost everything that she ate. I think that
adding these two substances would be "safer" than adding peanut butter,
given her baby's sensitivity.

Flax oil is high in omega 3 fatty acids, something that many diets are low
in.

As an aside, this mother's 3rd baby was a very slow weight gainer (as had
been her first 2 babies, who were weaned because of the weight issue).
During her latest pregnancy she took flax oil and has continued to do so
while breastfeeding,and this baby is gaining beautifully and mom is
maintaining a healthful weight.

With the emphasis on low fat diets in the US, I think that many women are
finding that they are not getting adequate fats, and the right kind of
fats, to nourish themselves and their babies.  The above mother hadn't
thought of herself as adhering to a low-fat diet, but she saw what focusing
on healthful fats could do for herself and her babies.

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mailto:[log in to unmask]