Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 00:25:49 EDT
<< what kind of emphasis this topic of fore and hindmilk is
 given in either direct teaching at the bedside, in prenatal breastfeeding
 classes, written info to mothers etc. in your place of work. >>

In my prenatal classes and at the bedside, phone, whatever, I don't actually
use the words "hindmilk" and "foremilk", but I DO address the issue of
needing to let the baby decide when to come off, instead of switching sides
by the clock.

The way I approach it is to describe a meal at the breast like a 5-course
dinner:  you start off with a glass of juice, work through the salad before
you get to the meat & potatoes, and finish off with creme brulee!  Then they
understand when I describe clock-oriented feedings:  if you switch after "x"
number of minutes, the baby may only have just begun on the meat & potatoes,
& you're switching him back to juice.

This analogy also works to discuss varying lengths of feeds:  some meals you
want just a quick drink, others a nice-sized meal, & sometimes you want
seconds on everything.

I also mention that the "creme brulee" can get kind of thick, then suggest
Jack's breast compression as a way of "serving up dessert".

By the way, I've been nomail for several months, so let me quickly
re-introduce myself:  I'm a perinatal/womens health educator and LC for a
tertiary care  hospital here in St. Louis, certified as LC and
Maternal-Newborn nurse.  Also author of Mosby's Maternal-Newborn Patient
Teaching Guides--to be released Thursday!!!!  My most important job is as
mother to 2 boys (9 & 14, both bf 18-30 months) and wife to 1 social worker.
:-)

Smiles,

Carol Schlef, RNC, MSW, IBCLC