From:
Larry D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 14:17:38 -0800
At 10:47 AM 11/9/96 -0600, Dani wrote:
>I found out yesterday that several of our NICU nurses have read the Ezzo's
book and at least two of them are attempting to implement the
practices.......Article references would be wonderful, and your personal
thoughts valued!!

Dani, if you can do a WWW search there are a LOT of resources on Ezzo out there.
Are these nurses doing Ezzo because of the Christian angle, ie "Raising
Children God's Way"?  If so, I feel this is quite cult-like, the moms we
have here who take the class at their church refuse to talk about it to
outsiders, hide the book in their drawers and are warned to beware of
outside influences that go against the Ezzo belief system who are trying to
undermine them.  Search "Christian Ezzo" to find some good WWW pages that
address biblical refutations of the method if you feel up to the task.

If the nurses are doing the non religious book based Ezzo "Babywise" because
of they want a time-table led child I think you have a better chance at
appealing to their individual "weak points, maybe logic, maybe fear of
losing time at work, may jealousy, maybe a desire for more leisure time,
maybe finances.  If you can convince them "Babywise" will lead to early
weaning and if their child is in a day care where a sick baby must stay home
and the moms are the ones who will miss work when the ABM fed baby gets more
illnesses....maybe that line of logic will work.  Maybe they are a bit
envious of the time the child-care provider spends with their child, if so,
maybe they would really like to preserve the unique bond a breastfed baby
has with mom - exploit the fact that "no one else can do what you do".
Maybe after an 8 - 12 hour shift of infant care they would like to be able
to just sit back and nurse, not prepare bottles.
Maybe the NC study of $1400 extra medical cost for ABM fed babies in the
first year would turn them off to Ezzo.

Good luck, this is a tough nut to crack (and I mean NUT)

-- Carla (just north of Washington, DC)