Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:17:02 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
I am a Junior 2 Nursing Student from the University of North Dakota. The background experience that I have is that as a student, I am learning about OB/GYN issues, which includes breast-feeding. Aside from being a nursing student, I have a 4 year old boy that I nursed for 7 months. I understand some the complications, and issues that arise with the complexity of breast-feeding for the first time; because I did have to experience some of the issues. It was not an issue whether or not I wanted to try to breast-feed, the issue was how long was I going to be able to breast-feed him? Women that have to go back to work, or school in my case, or women that get frustrated with the art and can't seem to get over that "hump" of breast-feeding should get a little pat on the back for trying to do what is best for her baby. In an article that I read called "Mother's milk: The start of something special", it states a fact that "in the UK, some women do not even try to breast-feed..."(community practitioner, May 2003). That is why it is so important to give mother's; whether they are first-time mother's or have had other children, the proper information, as well as encouragement to facilitate the awareness of the terrific benefits of breast-feeding.
In another article that I read, published May 8, 2002 by JAMA titled; "The association between duration of breast-feeding and adult intelligence" discusses that breast-feeding does influence adult intelligence. The study used a wide range of durations of breast-feeding in months; less than 1 month to 9 months and greater. They determined the validity of the study by using the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale (WAIS).
As a future nurse I hope to be able to help mother's learn the facts of breast-feeding. With good research and positive outcomes towards the benefits of breast-feeding it seems that with all the morbidity and mortality that can be prevented; whether directly or indirectly related to a healthy diet, shouldn’t the practicing of a healthy diet start from birth?
References
Mothers milk: The start of something special. Anonymous. Community Practioner; May 2003.
The Association between Duration of Breast-feeding and Adult Intelligence. Erik Lykke Mortenson, Kim Fleisher Michealsen, Stephene A Sanders, June Mach. Jama, May 8, 2002; 287, 18.
Information update. Judy O’Conner. International Journal of Childbirth Education; Mar 2003.
The Baby Café: A fresh idea for supporting breast-feeding mothers. Julie Williams; Catherine Pardoe. Community Practitioner; May 2003.

Alona Davis
[log in to unmask]
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.

Alona Davis
[log in to unmask]
Why Wait? Move to EarthLink.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2