From:
Deborah S-Q <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 13:59:41 EDT
I was taught to push gently on the jaw to drop the jaw wider while pulling
in baby to the nipple while simultaneously saying "open" in a firm tone.
The crook of the index finger that was supporting the breast was used to do
this.  This technique served to teach the baby the word "open" as a cue &
eventually the finger was not needed.  All my babies did not open wide
enough in the beginning & this was effective & gentle.  Never would I equate
it with pushing on the back of the head which I had done to my first baby by
a nurse in the hospital - even in my inexperienced state as a first-time mom
I recognized that as horribly stressful for my baby (along with the rough
tickling of the feet that was popular at that time).
Deborah Sowery-Quinn