Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:43:54 -0500
"I work in and NICU and counseled a mother last evening about "Shooting
and Burning breast pains"...treating the baby for Thrush...
 My concern is...expressed milk of a mother with candidiasis should not
be saved and frozen, because freezing deactivates yeast but does not
kill it."...This little one who is now 34 weeks has never had anything
else I don't want to tell them to start giving formula for two weeks but
will if any of you advise it...Esther from Michigan."

Pumped milk should not be stored and saved for later use when the Mom
and baby have thrush, however it is OK to continue to feed the baby.  So
this mother should pump for that day's use by the baby, but not add any
extra to her freezer supply.  Better to pump and dump than to risk
reinfection later.  Also, some of her recently pumped milk that is now
in storage and probably contains candida should be discarded, too.

Barb Berges BS, RN, IBCLC
Rochester, New York