From:
Anne Andrianos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 08:43:16 -0800
This whole discussion disturbs me because of the lack of information
about the picture and now, the conflicting information about who advised
to the mother to bottle feed the infant girl. While the picture
supposedly originates with UNICEF, that does not mean that we should not
ask some questions about what really happened here. I have tried to find
out some facts, but cannot. I would like to know if these twins were
term, did one have a congenital birth defect contributing to her demise,
what was the socioeconomic ststus of the family (to see this picture in
color suggests some affluence), did the mother have any ped visits, why
did she wait so long for intervention or help, does this picture look
posed? Why was any one wainting to take pictures when this baby should
have been in the hospital? What was the beby fed?. Water supply
contaminated? History of other illnesses?
I have witnessed the response to this picture by physicians and read
their comments after this slide was shown at a conference. It was not
pretty and the speaker had no response because there is no information
available. I am very concerned because we certainly look and act fairly
emotional and radical when we show this picture and go on the attack. It
is a heartbreaking picture true, but I think that as breastfeeding
advocates we always need to know the facts, be prepared and ready with
accurate information, not hearsay. And now there are two versions of the
story! This is war and feelings don't count. Ammunition (facts) does

--
Anne Andrianos, MS,RN,IBCLC
Breastfeeding Resources