From:
Jill Lund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 19:18:26 -0500
    I'm sure Missouri will get the award for the most unusual breastfeeding
legislation.  It was combined into a multiple purpose bill.  It passed the
Missouri house and senate and is awaiting signature by the governor.
    The bill is Senate bill #8:  Establishes public health & awareness
programs; requires evaluation of health care inspection procedures.
    The bill has 9 paragraphs and each one deals with a totally different
public health issue:
1st paragraph on Hepatitis C    2nd paragraph on Acupuncture
3rd physical therapists    4th elder abuse    5th & 6th social services

7th (here we are!!)  Every hospital & ambulatory surgical center providing
obstetrical care is to give new mothers information on breastfeeding.  After
Jan. 1, 2000, physicians providing obstetrical or gynecological services
must furnish patients with breastfeeding information as well.  With the
appropriate discretion, a mother may breastfeed a child in any public or
private location where she is otherwise authorized to be.

8th long term care insurance premiums

Well, it certainly wasn't what we had hoped for and on the other hand it is
exciting anyway.  Good to be part of public health -- just a normal issue
like so many others, and neato they said "child".  I think the "appropriate
discretion" language is not a great choice.  Any thoughts?

Jill Lund, RD, MS
Missouri, Local WIC Agency