Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:28:58 +0000
I'll chip in here, too, Helen.

I agree with the scenario suggested - this could well be a normal
healthy baby who wants to feed a lot because normal healthy babies
like to do this.

He may be crying because crying is the only way he can ask to be put
to the breast - this mum i ) may  just not know what normal healthy
baby behaviour is ii)  may be missing other signs of the baby
needing/wanting to be fed iii) may not realise it is 'permissable' to
bf just 'cos it's a nice thing to do - some mothers really believe
they should only *ever* feed when the baby is yelling blue murder.

But there may be other stuff we don't know about, of course.  I would
wonder from where the mother has the idea of the thermometer in the
rectum. Yikes!  That bit of info alone tells me the mum may really
not know about normal healthy babies and normal healthy babycare.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK