From:
Liz Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 09:34:00 -0500
I was stopped outside my youngest's elementary school the other day.  The
mom called me by name ... a total stranger to my eyes.  Then she told me
this lovely story:

A handful of years back, I saw her (as an IBCLC) on the maternity floor at
the local hospital.  She had BF her oldest (then 14 mos. old); there were no
issues with #2, so I had an "ordinary" visit that day.  The only memorable
part about the visit (for me) was that I had mistaken mom's visiting
*brother* as the father of the baby, as he was the one holding the babe as I
entered the room.  (Actually, that visit taught me to never make assumptions
about who-is-whom in the room ...)

Mom went on to explain that her sister-in-law (brother's wife) was in the
room, too (altho I didn't remember her at all).  This couple was thinking
about having kids ... but sis-in-law was very much "on the fence" about BF.

Eventually, the couple did have a child ... and sis-in-law-now-a-new-mom not
only went on to BF, but is still nursing her 12-month-old.  She has
commented many times (to "my" mom) that it was watching my LC visit in the
hospital that "converted her."   "My" mom was eager to share that story with
me, because she wanted me to know that my visit had an impact on more than
the single dyad.

I share this story not only for the opportunity to brag .... but to remind
us all that we *do* have an enormous impact on women's lives.

Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLC
Wyndmoor, PA, USA