From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 1995 12:11:55 -0400
Good morning all!
On this beautiful Labor Day weekend here in Sacramento California, I have  a
question I have been pondering over for quite a while, and have finally
decided ask to those who would know.  My baby is now a toddler, just turned 1
last week!  He still nurses 6-7 times a 24hr period;  Breastmilk is 90% of
his diet.  This is just fine with me.  However, I do get the surprised
"You're still nursing!?  Only once a day though, right?  You'll be weaning
soon, like next week?"  I calmly tell people that (although it really is none
of their business, but I'm trying to plant seeds here :)  )  Ben will be
allowed to wean himself and no sooner, and that his diet is 90% BM.  Then
they ask how long will he be nursing 6-7 times a day?  That's where I get
stumped!  I usually say as long as he wants, but I'm beginning to wonder.
 How often does the average toddler nurse?  Since my first was totally weaned
by 14 months, I have no idea.  Is there a time when mom needs to cut down on
the nursings and get more table foods in the diet, or does the baby decide?
 I have WIC clients (I'm a peer councelor) who are asking this as well.  I
have no problems nursing Ben 'till he's 2 or 3, but I really can't see him
nursing 6-7 times a day at those ages.  Any thoughts out there on this?
 They'd really be appreciated!  Also, if anyone has any stats on average
nursings per day by age, that would be helpful, too.  I know that the world
average for nursing is 4.2 or 4.8 years, but how often does the 4 year old
actually nurse? Oh the questions, the questions!  I have more, but will save
them for later!
Thanks all, and hope y'all are having great weekends!  I'm catching up on 28
digests and doing laundry, cutting hair,  cleaning house, nursing.... :)

Janet
Sacramento, CA

The Questioning LC in Training :)