From:
Kris Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 21:45:48 -0500
Hello everyone,
    A Mom I'm working with has asked me to check your collective wisdom.  Her baby is 10 weeks old and for the past several weeks, her breasts have been very uneven.  This has persisted despite her best efforts to increase stimulation on the lesser producing breast.  The right is producing over 4 ounces per pumping and the left only 1 ounce, which has remained unchanged since the baby's birth.  There has been no history of mastitis or engorgement.  The only theory I've been able to come up with involves an auto accident about 3 years ago in which the steering wheel impacted her chest, but she doesn't remember if one side was more bruised than the other at that time.  Is there any other possible scenario I may have overlooked?  Other than starting most feedings on the lower producing side and pumping it for more stimulation, is there anything she can do to try to "even things out"?  I have reassured her that her baby can get plenty of milk with only one breast producing milk, but she'd like to look a little less "lop-sided" if she could.
    Thank you all,
    Kristeen Rogers, RN, BSN, IBCLC