From:
Kathy Koncelik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:38:55 -0400
Greetings--

I am looking for information for the effects of breastmilk
on Benign Congenital Neutropenia.

        Does breastmilk alter the course of the disease in anyway?

The baby is 20 days old and mother is formula feeding.

I spoke to the mother for the first time yesterday and suggested
discussing breastfeeding with the child's doctor.  The subject has
never been discussed by the doctor with the mother.  (Lactation
Counsultant has been consulted with and is offering to assist in
inducing lactation with pumping metoclopramide)

currently the baby's neutrophil count is down from a high
of 180 down to 167.  At birth the count was 60.

Mother had a case of "shingles" in the 3rd trimester and was treated
with
a course of Valacyclovir for 14 days.

The doctor feels that it was the Valtrex that may have caused the
neutropenia (really???!??!  Is this possible?)

Your expertise in the matter is greatly appreciated!

Kathy Koncelik
LLLI BF Peer Support Counselor
Postpartum Doula

As always . . . .