Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:02:45 +0300
I just came back from a big Fair that was held for pregnant and new
parents.  There were booths for all the various stuff which new parents
"need", and LLL had a nice booth as well.  There were lectures and
seminars all day and after a fellow LC and I finished hassling the
various ABM reps. ( I can't resist), we went in to the lecture entitled
Breastmilk vs ABM.
There was a panel discussion and the members of the panel were our own
Dr. Gina Velner (a dentist and the head of LLL in Israel,and one of the
few of us  who doesn't speak with a strong Anglo-saxon accent giving the
impression that breastfeeding is an American thing) a rep of the Health
Ministry, and reps of the three main ABM  companies who are represented
in Israel, and also a moderator who had obviously had a very positive
breastfeeding experience.

Gina started by answering the various questions which were directed to
her about Breastfeeding and she made one important point from the start
that she was the  only one on this panel who did not stand to get any
financial gain from that which she is representing. She was terrific,
and so professional.  Her answers were to the point and very
scientific.  Plus she is so articulate in Hebrew!!

Of course all the ABM reps proclaimed their dedication to breastfeeding
and their  firm belief that Breastmilk is the golden standard, but that
ABM has to exist in case the mom can't breastfeed if , for example, she
is taking antibiotics or if her baby is jaundiced ( don't  worry, I
pounced on her later for those insinuations!)

Somehow the  conversation got around to LC-Pufa, nucleotides,
phyto-estrogens, DHA and other various
components which have been added to ABM to make it more marketable, and
what ensued was huge argument among the three reps each saying how the
additives in the other's ABM was harmful, not accepted by the FDA, etc.
It was hilarious, and this went on for about 45 minutes, during which we
all sat back grinning as they each labeled the other's product as unfit
for human consumption with appropriate references to back up these
claims!!!

I asked a few provocative questions, just to heat things up a little
more, and then a little grey-haired man two rows behind me took the
microphone and introduced himself as Dr. Whatever, a member of the
Helsinki Committee which is a  board of physicians whose job it is to
decide which scientific studies will be allowed and which would be
harmful to the humans who participate in them.  Any research using
humans as subjects must get Helsinki Approval.  And this is what he
said:
"I am speaking not as a member of Helsinki, nor as a physician, but as a
future grandfather of twins, and I am very confused and concerned after
hearing this discussion.  I now realize that ABM should be treated as
every other medication that has serious side affects on humans and
should have to pass very stringent tests in order to be given to our
human infants, and yet it is not only given without restriction, but
marketed like a harmless substance. I am sure that my grandchildren will
be breastfed, but what about all those other innocent babies whose
parents are not so well informed?  This discussion has left me very
worried."  He shook his head and sat down.  I wanted to go over and kiss
him.

The health ministry rep did not have an answer, but all the journalists
were madly scribbling, and we LC's and LLL's were grinning ear to ear.

So, I suggest that you start organizing  such panels all over the
country and let the ABM  companies drown themselves.  The whole thing
was filmed, and if I can get it dubbed in English, I would love to
present it at the ILCA conference. You had to see them all yelling at
each other about how terrible the other's formula was!!

Breast milk comes out the victor yet again!!!!  This made my otherwise
very hard week!!

Esther Grunis, IBCLC
Lis Maternity Hospital
Tel Aviv, Israel