From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 06:38:20 -0600
My favorite was an acquaintance who had premature twins and was told by the
neonatologist that she couldn't give them her pumped breast milk because
"There's a connection between breast milk and necrotizing enterocolitis."
Yeah, there's a connection all right -- it's protective.  Apparently, all he
remembered was "a connection" and assumed that breast milk caused NEC,
rather than preventing it.  One of the twins did indeed get NEC, but
recovered, and they both went on to receive pumped breast milk for a while
when they were older (not sure they ever actually went to breast).  Her next
baby "had to be bottle-fed" because the nursery nurses gave her one bottle
of formula and after that "She didn't want the breast."  Obviously,
breastfeeding was not terribly important to this mother, as she didn't try
to educate the neonatologist (even after I gave her copies of the medical
articles on breast milk and NEC) nor did she try to work through the "nipple
confusion" of her daughter.

Kathy Dettwyler