Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 09:37:10 EST
Brenda notices,

> Over the last few months, I have noticed a high number of my clients who =
> have lost much of their milk supplies after surgery. Last week I had two =
> patients in one day call to tell me that after gall bladder surgery their
=
> milk supplies dropped by 2/3.=20
>
> Both of these moms pumped with a Lactina every 3 hours for the 48 hours =
> they were put on meds and NPO status prior to surgery (ARGH). They put =
> baby to breast immediately when they were given the go-ahead, and have had
> =
> a noticable drop in supply and henceforth infant satisfaction.

I wonder if, when these moms were on NPO status for however long, if their
IV
fluid replacement took into account the need to replace fluids lost through
breastmilk.  I suspect that a goodly number of mothers who are breastfeeding
and have surgery when I&O is calculated, that breastmilk isn't put into the
equation, and they may actually be dehydrated, thus decreasing supply.

Yes?  No?  Other experiences?

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC -- Wheaton IL
Lactation Education Consultants
www.lactationeducationconsultants.com