From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 19:08:20 +0200
Laurie Wheeler wrote:
Have you tried a self-attachment sort of activity? With baby prone on mom's
tummy or chest, which would help the tongue come forward too, and seeing if
the baby would search for the breast, the scent etc and self-attach?

Mother and baby are spending time skin to skin at every available moment.
The one time I was present and we tried the self-latching position with baby
between mother's breasts, baby became very upset so we interrupted the
attempt and gave her EBM by cup.
They went home today, full of optimism and plans for how to continue.
Seldom have I seen such huge smiles from a couple when BF still hasn't
sorted itself out.  Finger feeding is what is working at the moment.  There
is no distress around feeds, and since she is one of those lucky women who
lets her milk down easily to a pump, it's not even that time-consuming.  I'm
encouraging them to push the baby a little, gently, to move onto the breast.
She is gaining well, and supply is fine.  I feel sure it will work out in
the end but wish I were going to be here to support them.  E-mail contact
from a continent away just isn't the same, though it is better than nothing!