Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 06:42:50 -0700
Yes, it's not only possible, but very enjoyable (speaking from personal
experience).
Does this baby have a heart defect? (About half of all babies with DS do.)
If yes, then getting tired feeding from the heart defect is half the
problem, and that'll be better after corrective surgery.  Does mom have a
good MER?  The stress of having a baby that wasn't quite what was expected
can sure inhibit it.  Some oxytocin nasal spray works wonders.  Also gives
mom a fast enough MER that baby won't get frustrated and give up too soon.
Lots of skin to skin, herbals, reglan if necessary (not contraindicated
unless baby had to have surgery for duodenal atresia at birth; may still be
okay this far later).  Optimize pumping regimen (120 minutes/day divided
into 10-15 min sessions.) Keep me posted; email privately if you like!
Becky