From:
sally myer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:22:14 -0800
<Lisa gave an example of a Mom with red flags for breastfeeding problems but she "slipped through the cracks"
I shared with the mom my findings and thoughts on why she didn't have much milk. It all made sense to her when it was spelled out, and she wanted to know, "why didn't anyone tell me? They should check for this when you're pregnant!"  She is right, but it isn't happening.  Too many caregivers along the line are not aware of the other side and fail to flag such moms, and when the mom follows standard advice to just keep trying, nurse more often, and the milk will come, trouble can result. Without good screening all the way up the line of mother's caregivers, there is going to continue to be babies and moms who fall through the cracks with traumatic results. Even more confounding is the fact that some moms with lots of risk factors do just fine. I am troubled because we are still having to work so hard to get caregivers on board with promoting and supporting breastfeeding, and now there is also a need for them to understand the scenarios where breastfeeding may not work and mom and baby need special follow-up care.  The solution for preventing breastfeeding-related tragedies is not so easy.>

We are sharing with each other on here daily it seems examples of the system failing mothers and babies in regard to providing competent breastfeeding support.  Some are not dangerous but many are.  With all this letter writing going on lately it made me think that it seems that our Surgeon General (or some other appropriate health care authority) ought to learn about these examples of gross incompetance in this area of health care and maybe a push would take place from high up for the health care community to "get with the program".  Maybe once the Bf Awareness Campaign is underway we could organize another letter writing campaign with our examples.  Each of us have plenty I'm sure!

Sally