From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 18:42:46 -0500
Dear all,

Recently, to my great frustration and dismay, there has been a big push by
the formula manufacturers to get the hospital here to accept and distribute
formula packs to new mothers.  Now, folks, this is a hospital that has
gotten RID of these things, and where there have been major efforts to
improve the bf scenario in past years.  The hospital has many well-educated
and skilled nurses who are devoted to bf, and who are working hard, despite
many roadblocks, to improve the situations for mothers.  The hospital
recently had an LC pilot, which was very successful. HOwever, the grant ran
out and the hospital neglected to continue having LCs available to do bf
work/lc work, due to "financial" constraints. Harumph.

So...now I hear that the formula reps are gearing up here. They are the ones
doing grand rounds...at the hospital for the pediatric service.  They are
now welcome on the postpartum floor, and are buddying up to the powers that
be.  Formula packs are the push, and we are looking for some concrete
approach to help the powers that be resist the temptation to prostitute
themselves for a few lousy bucks....alright, it might be more than a few
lousy bucks, but it is still the P word..no matter how you describe it. At
least in my book. The thought of going backwards to a time where formula is
the rescuer, the thing that saves babies from dehydration, and "you'd better
have it so that your baby doesn't get dehydrated" is a sickening turn backwards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Concrete points to include in a
letter would be helpful.

Kathleen
Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,Corgi-L,TLC, Indep. Consultant
http://together.net/~kbruce/kbbhome.html
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html